CHILLICOTHE, Ohio (WTVN) -- A student was flown to a Columbus hospital after being burned at school around 10:30 Wednesday morning.
The student, 17-year old Brandon Gray, was in a welding class at Pickaway-Ross Career and Technology Center when a spark caught his shirt on fire.
"The instructor saw it immediately, went over, put the fire out, and stabilized the student," said Steve Winegardner, director of secondary education at the school which serves students from 10 high schools in Ross and Pickaway County. Gray's home school is Adena.
The student was taken to Adena Regional Medical Center and later flown to the burn unit at the Wexner Medical Center at OSU.
"I don't think they were third-degree burns or something like that, but bad enough that with a burn you need to be careful," Winegardner said.
He says the student was following all safety precautions in the lab at the time and called it a "freak accident."