Ohio State head coach Urban Meyer met with the media to preview one of the biggest games of the season: a 7:30 p.m. Saturday tilt against Penn State. Here are the highlights:
- Defensive lineman Robert Landers will return this week, but Nick Bosa (hamstring/abdominal) will be out a few more weeks.
- There were quite a few players who graded a champion effort against Tulane. Meyer made sure to note that included all the team's starting offensive lineman.
- How does Meyer know that quarterback Dwayne Haskins will stay level headed, even as he receives Heisman hype? From talking to him. Meyer said he made a point to call Haskins after the win over the Green Wave to remind him to remain focused.
- Although he still believes in running a balanced offense, Meyer conceded that "with a throwing quarterback you throw."
- The run game is "completely different" when the quarterback does not play a major role in it.
- Amid reports that Ohio State was considering making Ryan Day the team's coach-in-waiting, Meyer was asked what he thinks of the concept of naming an heir apparent. He said he had never really given it much consideration. (Note: Buckeye athletics director Gene Smith has disputed the report regarding Day.)
- Another question Meyer was asked was about was the fact that his starting linebackers failed to register a single tackle Saturday. When made aware of this by The Ozone's Tony Gerdeman, he seemed struck by it, but said it was something he ruminated over more before offering an opinion.
Hear Meyer's full press conference...