COLUMBUS, Ohio (WTVN) -- Governor John Kasich Friday delayed eight upcoming executions as the state waits for word from a U.S. Court of Appeals.
The court is expected to take up a challenge by Ohio death row inmates to the state's method of execution.
Because the court's ruling isn't expected before the next scheduled execution on February 15, the Governor's Office says "these delays are necessary to allow the judicial process to come to a full resolution, and ensure that the state can move forward with the executions."
In all, eight scheduled executions have been rescheduled:
- The execution of Ronald Phillips has been moved from February 15, 2017 to May 10, 2017. Phillips was sentenced to death in 1993 for the rape and murder of his girlfriend’s three-year-old daughter, Sheila Marie Evans.
- The execution of Gary Otte has been moved from March 15, 2017 to June, 13, 2017. Otte was convicted in Cuyahoga County for the 1992 robbery and murder of 61 year-old Robert Wasikowski and 45 year-old Sharon Kostura at their respective apartments in Parma, OH.
- The execution of Raymond Tibbetts has been moved from April 12, 2017 to July 26, 2017. Tibbetts was convicted in Hamilton County for the 1997 murder of his wife Judith Crawford and the couple’s 67 year-old landlord Fred Hicks.
- The execution of Alva Campbell, Jr. has been moved from May 10, 2017 to September 13, 2017. Campbell was convicted in Franklin County for the 1997 murder of Charles Dials. Campbell had taken Dials hostage after assaulting a court officer and fleeing during an appearance before a judge on aggravated robbery charges.
- The execution of William Montgomery has been moved from June 13, 2017 to October 18, 2017. Montgomery was convicted in Lucas County for the 1986 murder Debra Ogle and Cynthia Tincher.
- The execution of Robert Van Hook has been moved from July 26, 2017 to November 15, 2017. Van Hook was convicted in Hamilton County for the 1985 murder of David Self, whom he had met at a gay bar and attempted to rob.
- The execution of Jeffrey A. Wogenstahl has been moved from September 13, 2017 to April 17, 2019. Wogenstahl was convicted in Hamilton County for the 1991 kidnapping and murder of 10 year-old Amber Garrett.
- The execution of Melvin Bonnell has been moved from October 18, 2017 to April 11, 2018. Bonnell was conviction in Cuyahoga County for the 1987 murder of Robert Bunner.