EAST LIVERPOOL, Ohio (AP) -- Police say a northeast Ohio police officer suffered an accidental overdose after a drug arrest when he touched powder on his shirt without realizing it was the powerful opiod Fentanyl.
He was treated with an overdose reversal drug after brushing off the powder with his hand and passing out Friday in East Liverpool
Fentanyl can be absorbed through the skin, and a few specks can kill an adult.
East Liverpool Police Capt. Patrick Wright says the officer had followed protocol and wore gloves and a mask when searching a car during the drug arrest. But, Wright says, the officer later instinctively wiped his shirt when another officer noticed powder on it.
Wright says the officer was fine by Sunday.