Alva Campbell's execution called off

LUCASVILLE, Ohio (WTVN)--The execution of Alva Campbell Jr., for the 1997 carjacking and murder of Charles Dials in Columbus, was called off on Wednesday.

The medical team tasked with finding a suitable vein for Campbell could not complete the task, and after about 30 minutes of looking on his arms and leg, the Warden at the Southern Ohio Correctional Facility called off the execution.

The State Department of Rehabilitation and Correction had said that on two separate occasions on Tuesday, officials were able to find veins that were "palpable and suitable" for execution.

The media witnesses were ushered to the execution chamber at about 10:45AM, with the victim witnesses and inmate witnesses were led in separately shortly after. Campbell was brought into the chamber in a wheelchair, and corrections officers helped him onto the gurney.

Once Campbell was strapped in by his legs and torso, a black curtain was lowered, and witnesses continued to watch the proceedings via closed circuit television.

The medical team used tourniquets and an ultraviolet light on both of his arms to try and find a suitable vein. The team attempted to administer an IV twice on his right arm, and once on his left arm.

They then rolled up the pant leg of his right leg, and attempted to access a vein on his shin. It appeared the medical had succeeded, but Campbell appeared to be in pain at that point, and the medical team then actually shook hands with Mr. Campbell. Shortly after that, the media witnesses were asked to leave the room. At that point was when the Warden called off the proceedings.

Gary Mohr, Director of the Ohio Department of Rehabilitation and Correction, said Campbell has officially been issued a reprieve, and will continue to be housed on death row at the Chillicothe Correctional Institution. Campbell's new execution date has been set for June 5th, 2019.

It's the third time that an inmate sentenced to death has survived an execution attempt. Back in 2009, Rommell Broom was given a reprieve here in Ohio after the medical team in his execution tried about 50 times over a two-hour period to find a suitable vein.

Sponsored Content

Sponsored Content