CDC Identifies Source of Illness at Powell Chipotle

DELAWARE, Ohio (WTVN)--The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention has identified the source of illness for hundreds of customers of the Chipotle in Powell.

Their tests came back positive for Clostridium perfringens, a bacteria that is prevalent in food that is left at an unsafe temperature.

The CDC says certain strains of C. perfringens can produce a toxin in the intestine that causes illness, including diarrhea and cramps. The tests determined the bacteria was in the stool samples tested, and not the food samples.

The Delaware General health District took nearly 700 reports of illness from customers who ate at the Chipotle on Sawmill Parkway from July 26th to July 30th.

A specific food item has not yet been identified as the source of the illness.

At least two customers have filed a lawsuit against the restaurant as a result.

In response to this outbreak, Brian Niccol, CEO of Chipotle Mexican Grill stated that “Chipotle Field Leadership will be retraining all restaurant employees nationwide beginning next week on food safety and wellness protocols."

(photo via Getty Images)

Sponsored Content

Sponsored Content